I don’t normally do book hauls because I’m not the kind of person that buys a whole bunch of books in a month, usually one or two. However, March has been different because I had spring break so I spent the past weekend in different bookstores across the city collecting different books. I bought a total of seven books this month.
- I first visited Select Book Shop which is the oldest bookstore in the city where you can find rare copies of books like first publications, discontinued copies and other such books at amazing prices. I picked up two books when I was there. I first picked up Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. The copy that I bought was published in 1961 and was worth 60c at that time. I don’t know what the story is but I do know that the book is a very important piece of literature and kind of acted as a turning point in literature in the nineteenth century.
- The other book I picked up at Select was Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer. Albert Speer was Armaments Minister to Hitler in 1942, but before that was a very close friend and confidant of Hitler. It covers everything from the beginning of Hitler’s regime all the way to Operation Valkyrie, one of the most famous assassination attempts on Hitler. As a History student, I’ve been studying Hitler’s Germany since 9th grade so I was so happy to get my hands on this book because I’ve always been really interested in reading about this time in History.
- The next book I picked up this month was The Selection by Kiera Cass. This is the first book in The Selection series and follows America Singer who is one of the girls chosen to fight for the prince’s heart. I was at Crossword buying a birthday present for a friend when I saw this book on the shelf. One of my friends has been recommending this to me and when I saw it, I thought I might as well buy it.
- Another book that I picked up this month was Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Old School by Jeff Kinney. This is the tenth book in the middle-grade series which I have been reading since forever and every time a new book is out, I’m so excited. This book was such a surprise because I don’t remember asking my dad to order it but it came in the mail anyways.
- I am super excited about these next two books because I’ve been dying to get my hands on these special editions. Crossword has teamed up with Penguin Classics to design Penguin Gift Editions of classic novels. Crossword was having a Buy One Get One free offer and I couldn’t resist, so I first bought Persuasion by Jane Austen.
- I also bought Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen. I read Pride and Prejudice in school as part of required reading and ever since then, I’ve been really interested in reading more Austen. I watched Reagan from PeruseProject talk about Persuasion and I just knew I had to pick it up, so when I saw it on sale, there was no stopping me.
- The last book in this haul is the most important book in this haul and I’m pretty sure you’ve guessed it. It is Lady Midnight by Cassandra Clare. This is the first book in the Dark Artifices series that follows Emma Carstairs and Julian Blackthorn, from the LA Institute, who are parabatai. This is the sequel series to The Mortal Instruments and takes place five years after the events of City of Heavenly Fire. This is all I can say without spoiling it for people who have not finished City of Heavenly Fire. I am so happy to have this book on my shelf but it is really intimidating; my edition is almost 670 pages, which was almost the size of my edition of City of Heavenly Fire, so I’m really curious as to how big the following books will be.
Those are the books that I picked up this month and I am so excited to read all of them! Let me know what books you got this month. I will see you soon with another fun book-ish post, until then, adios muchachos!